Saturday, February 27, 2010

50 Days @ HCL Technologies

Days 1-7:

This is my first job. I was too excited that I am going to earn from now, this is the day which I dream't much in my life. I was asked to report at Ambattur office on 12th Jan 2010 at 9:30 AM. I was late on the very first day (I did it intentionally!!), when I entered the training hall it was crowded with more than 100 people, I was shocked to see more than 100 people coming too early (9:40 Am I went inside the hall) but after few minutes I was happy to see another one guy entering into the hall. There was one old man standing in front of the crowd and giving lots of instructions (Lecture) following that, I was asked to sign in more than 30 pages all had almost same content like, In case of my death blah...blah... I was wondering why do these HR Idiots want me to think about my death on the very first day at office!! Once this was done it marked the end of the first day at office. For the next two days Induction program was conducted, most of it explained what is HCL and what it expects from its employees(Very boring sessions). For the next three days in the office I saw all the heroines (Priyanka, Sneha, Asin, Trisha, Genilia, Jeniffer Aniston, Angelina) also few Tennis Super stars(Ana Ivanovic particularly with one of my school mate)in my dream singing or dancing with me or with some of my friends, As so called the trainers from T2ID of HCL were trying to teach about success and few crappy things which even they wont follow in their life. At the end of the fifth day at office my heart was beating twice faster than the usual rate as they were announcing work location, I called all the Gods who all I know, and prayed that my work location should Chennai. Luckily I got posted in Chennai. I was asked to report at Haddows road HCL office next day.

Day 8:

When I went there I found myself late again!!! All the seats were occupied and I pulled one table and sat on it. It was very boring to sit simply so slowly we (K.S, Shankar, Santhosh, Vishnu, Nithi, Kevin, Kutty Vivek and me) started to chat with each other and made fun of each other (Especially Nithi). After some time a lady(I forgot her name) entered into the room and said something about the work location blah..blah... but I didn't even turned my ears towards her. As soon as she left the room, we left for break and within minutes same lady called all who were sitting in that hall to tell about the work location. She got few informations from us like which technology everyone was trained(I was laughing inside!!) In next few minutes that lady called one person by phone and said there are 12 Java TRAINED resources, thats it I started to laugh loudly (only few noticed it), once that call was over she asked 12 of us to report to Naveen in Ambattur 4 office. Actually we 12 (Harish, Kevin, Shankar, Sudar, Nithi, Kutty Vivek, Mini, Vishnu, Sangeetha, Subha, Santhosh and me) were happy to be back in AMB 4. We all reached there, had food followed by small chat for 30 mins and then met Naveen. He gave a lecture about our project following that he gave few papers to fill and give it back by 5PM. We all left for coffee and when we came came back it was 5:10 he started shouting at us saying u should not be like this blah..blah... I enjoyed his anger as I was hearing those stuffs after four years. After that few more people came and spoke about the project and atlast left the office only at 6:30Pm.

Days 11 to 30:

Even though HCL has its own working hours(9Am - 6:30Pm), we designed a new working hours for us that is from 9:30 AM to 5:30 Pm and more importantly we stuck to our working hours. I go to office with Vishnu, mostly we used to reach the office by 9:30Am(Sometimes late). From day 11 to day 25 we occupied a conference hall named Vikram Sarabhai. We 12 along with another 19 people who were transfered from Bangalore used to sit inside that hall and chat for the whole day!!! Even when we were busy chatting we have never been late to take our breaks that s one thing that HCL should be proud of us(at 11 Am - Coffee break, 1Pm - Lunch break, 4Pm - Coffee break). After few days Maheshwar(Associate Project Manager) a very nice person, literally he was our(31 of us) mentor from day 11 to day 35(Still continuing to be mentor for few), prepared a training routine for us. We used to have training for 2 hours a day(from 2pm to 4pm) most of which was like Greek and Latin to me. The trainers whom I want to mention here are Kiruba and Venkatesh. Kiruba(Real genius) took sessions about PS frame work, more importantly she was interested in conducting quiz sessions about Java(LOL), only Babu Prasad(Father of Java) and Sangeetha (Mother of Java) used to answer all the questions thrown. Jaikesh, Gopikrishnan and Me used to comment about each other, we never bothered to listen whats happening. The most important thing about Kiruba's training was her advice(Seriyana Mokkai). Next Venki(Arivali than thaliva neenga!) took session about web services till date I don't even know what actually that is!! He did some magic in front of us thats what I understood. Adding to routine training we used to have seminar sessions which no one was really bothered to listen what the speaker was saying. It was only moderator (Kaarthik), Sun Venkatesh, Shiva and few others who used to take notes and send the updates to Maheshwar. As the days passed we were separated, few into Bank(13) and remaining into Enterprise(18) wing of USAA and slowly we were deployed into different teams. In this Enterprise wing folks were luckier as at least two (Except Harish)were deployed in the same team.

Day 31 to 50:

We celebrated birthday for Saba, Subha and Mini on Feb 12th, I had great time on that day I felt that I am back to my college days. Thanks greatly to Maheshwar for the initiative. Then I was deployed in a team called Financial Profile, I was the only fresher in my team(This was the one thing which I thought should not happen to me...). On the very next moment entering into the team I was given Assignment which had 12Tasks, I had no clue what so ever about all those things at the first look. Any how took my time and completed(Largely with the help of Sangeetha) all those 12 tasks and sent it to my immediate lead Shwetha Reddy. I think she can be a very good primary school teacher than being a Software Engineer. During this period mostly I had fun because of Mosses(Body soda), a big time comedian of USAA. What ever he does it will be a comedy, I like the way he walks into his cubicle. He will look as if he is in hurry all the time. At first I thought he is too sincere in his work but atlast my guess was completely wrong!! I think it is very necessary to say about few of his comedies; First best comedy of him was Subha Is Mine(LOL), he actually meant that Subha is in his Team(From this you can understand how entertaining it would be to listen to his English!!). Within next few minutes this became the talk among all the USAA freshers. Second best comedy was his expression when he came to know that what ever work he did for 12hours on that day was wrong. The exact dialog - "Eppadi thanga naan unnecessary work nerya pathuren!!". When I came to know about this incident Sarath and me did a small mimicry and laughed continuously for 15 minutes. Third best one was the way Thara(Project Lead) shout at him(Aana ethu ellam en thala Mosses'ku Assault). One of best dialogue from Thara is "Mosses neenga pocket ulla kai vittutu chumma suthureenga oru vela kuda seirathu ella"(Even when Thara was saying this Mosses had his hands into his pocket -semma comedy chance'a ella).

I had a great experience in the first 50 days at HCL, as I earned alot of friends within short time. Thanks to Moderator, Vishnu, Sarath(Excel Sheet filler of USAA), Captain, Sangeetha, K.S, CJ(Silent Killer), Sun Venkatesh, Jaikesh, Commando, Mini, Saba, Nithi, Kutty Vivek(unmai villumbi - tats how he calls himself!), Maheshwar, Mosses, Sudhakar rao(I have used his name in phone) Shwetha Reddy, Vinod and others who contributed for these wonderful days of my life. Cheers mates, I wish that we should have same amount of fun through out our career.


5 comments:

  1. Really awesome Pradeep:-) As you said without our friends we would not have had this much fun... Waiting to see you all at shollinganallur very soon...;-)Keep up the work... I think you should write a separate blog for body soda...cos missing his comedies so much u see...:-)lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey all!!! my joining is on my 16th at bangalore. what is the probability that i would have my working location also as bangalore? im an mba student from alliance university.i would love to stay in bangalore!!! :?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just contact EHS depatrment for worklocation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Can you please tell me if there is any procedure to change the joining location? I am in a grim situation where I cannot afford to change location.

    ReplyDelete